1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Hull #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Hull #10506

Saturday, April 29, 2017

ACE work progresses

While the club was launching boats, Michael and I worked on ACE.

Last year we had a power boat hit our stanchion at the dock, and bent and ripped it out of the deck.



The hull and deck of ACE is cored with foam, so we were surprised to find that in this area, it was cored with balsa wood.  Obviously, the area was repaired, with balsa, and it was rotten.

We used a 5" diameter hole saw from below to expose the rotten core:


We filled it with foam coring material, and polyester resin thickened with colloidal silica:


We last finished it off with several layers of fiberglass cloth.  In the next couple of days, we will sand it out and install the stanchion so that we can get the lifelines on.

In the meantime we:

  • hooked up the new VHF
  • put in the MMSI number
  • replace the toilet with a new unit
The new Vulcan 7 chart plotters hooked up to the same power cables from the old Zeus Touch 8 units.  They talked NO PROBLEM with all the other instruments over the  NMEA 2000 bus.    The new Vulcan 7 units look smaller, but actually have the same sized screen.  These units are all screen!

Lastly, I took the rigid boom vang apart and replace the gas lift shock.



The boom is now fully supported without a topping lift!

CS34 Launch 2017

Got to the club at around 7:30am and had some breakfast.

Still Time was the 11th boat in.  Standing around I realized that I didn't attach the steering wheel!  A quick trip up the ladder to attach it.

I also lubed the shaft seal with some dish soap.  The shaft seal is lubricated and cooled by water from the lake coming up the prop shaft.  When the boat is put in the water, there could be an air bubble keeping water from the seal, so the squirt of dish soap lubes it until you can "burb" the seal to get rid of any air bubbles.

Lift started t 8:42am













Still Time has a new slip on the east side of the eastern most dock.
We look over the breakwater from the stern:



That is the collapse dingy on the deck.

The 2017 boating season is here!

Thursday, April 27, 2017

C22 Almost Ready to Launch

This week I got the bottom painted:


Next was to take the shrink wrap off.  I am trying to re-use my shrink wrap this year, so I undid the strings at the back, and made a slit and was able to pull the shrink wrap off no trouble:


 Folded up nicely for next season.

Here are some photo of the frame supports for reference next season:






Spent the day washing, buffing and waxing the hull:



Attached the rudder and tiller and painted it:



Need to mount the motor and install docklines and fenders.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

C22 Keel Crack

Time to spackle the keel crack!

First I masked off the area:


Added the Sikaflex 15 LM and faired it out out with a spatula:



Will be good for another 5 years!


Sunday, April 23, 2017

CS34 Ready to Launch

With the bottom already painted, and that refurbished hatch on, I was able to take the cover off:



Also de-winterized the motor:
1007 hours on the motor
Over the next couple of days, I compounded and waxed the hull:
 




Also cleaned out the anchor locker and put the anchor rode/chain back.

Still need to install the dock lines and fenders.

Big Still Time is ready for the water.

Next step is to get the new lifelines on...


Thursday, April 20, 2017

CS34 Hatch Refurb

The front hatch in the v-birth is the original from the 1990 vintage boat.
The acrylic lens is crazed, and the gaskets are hard and don't seal well.

The bed would be soaked after a hard rain, or you take a wave over the bow in heavy seas.

Tried to get a local company in Napanee (Atkins & Hoyle), but they wanted $700 plus tax and shipping, and did not have a comfort factor with Lewmar hatches.

In February, I shipped my hatch to Select Plastics (Hatch Masters) in Conneticut.

Cost me $26CAN to ship it.

They replaced the lens with some smoked acrylic plexiglass and put in some new gasket material.

Took almost 8 weeks as they are busy in the off season and have a backlog.

Got it back today and it looks excellent.

Protective paper on it.


Look great, well worth the $319US to get it done.

I took the hatch over to Roula at Dreamcast Canvas for her to pattern a sunbrella cover to keep the sunshine out and give us a little privacy in the v-birth when at the dock.

I have not been able to take the cover off of Still Time without the hatch.


The only boat in my row that has not removed their cover.

This weekend, so we can start working on the cleaning and waxing the hull before launch, which is the week after that.


Wednesday, April 19, 2017

ACE Mast Instruments

Got to installing the mast instruments yesterday.

Had to fish a wire down the mast from the tree to the bulkhead.


Wind 28 degrees port
Boat Speed 0.0
Wind Speed 8.0 knots
Heading 274

View from cockpit
Worked like a charm.